Small Claims Court

The Small Claims Court is an informal court where individuals can sue for money only, up to $3,000, without an attorney. You will be required to pay a filing fee of $10.00 if your claim is for $1,000 or less and a filing fee of $15.00 if your claim is more than $1,000.

If you choose, you may be represented by an attorney at your own expense, but it is not necessary to have an attorney since Small Claims Court is meant to be a “people’s court” where claims may be tried speedily, informally, and inexpensively.

Anyone over 18 years of age can bring an action in Small Claims Court. If you are younger than 18, your parent or guardian may file the claim for you. Corporations, partnerships, associations, or assigness cannot sue in Small Claims court, but they can be sued.

In order to bring a small claims action against someone in the Town of Clarkson, the person you wish to sue must live within the Town or own a place of business within the Town of Clarkson. You will be required to supply the correct spelling of the persons name and their CURRENT address.

Download the Small Claims form

If you have any questions, please contact the Court Clerk.

Town of Clarkson Justice Court
3655 Lake Road
Box 803
Clarkson, NY 14430

Phone (585)637-1134
Fax (585)637-1140